I wrote a little post a few month ago … okay so i’ve just checked and it was back in January, bit more than a few months ago, anyway the post was about getting back into the gym and how much I enjoyed it so I just wanted to do a little update on the gym and how I try and make sure I get my butt there.
First of all I know the gym isn’t for everyone and you might hate it and that’s fine, this post is just a lil advice from me on how I motivate myself because I genuinely do love the gym and feel so amazing after a good workout but i’m only human and sometimes my motivation is at the bottom of a bag of chocolate. I’m not gonna lie the main reason I workout apart from that ‘feel good’ release of endorphins after the gym is seeing the progress in my body and slowly and I mean slowly seeing parts of my body that i’m not happy with improving, who doesn’t want to feel confident?
So my tips for enjoying the gym are …
- Find a time to go that suits you, what I mean by this is I tend to enjoy the gym a lot more when I go either early on a morning or mid afternoon just because it’s not half as busy as peak times such as 5:30pm when everyone is going after work. I’ve only been to the gym a handful of times when it’s busy and it just triggers my anxiety to the point where I start telling myself I need to leave. Feeling relaxed and comfortable during my workout is a big factor when it comes to enjoying the gym.
- Change up your workouts, regardless of why you’re at the gym, whether it’s to lose weight, tone up, reduce stress etc. doing the same workout 2-4 times a week can become boring and monotonous, believe me I started out doing the same things over and over because I knew what I was doing and was a little scared to try new things but having the idea in your head before the gym of ‘ughh I have to do this again’ will 100% prevent you from going. This kinda ties in with my next point so keep reading …
- Do some research, now I don’t mean you have to have your head in fitness mags or study, something I find helpful is following fitness accounts on social media, especially instagram ones that post little workout tips and videos that relate to what i’m working on. My goal and reason for going to the gym is to tone up and grow that bootay so I tend to save videos on insta that relate to what I want to achieve, some accounts that i’m obsessed with at the moment are GraceFitUk, Gabbyschey and Gymsharktrain but you can also just type anything into the search bar and see what pops up as well.
- Don’t be afraid to ask, I know sometimes it can seem a bit daunting and embarrassing if you’re unsure how to use a piece of equipment at the gym and you don’t really wanna ask the staff, i’ve been there too but honestly there is nothing wrong with needing a demonstration or explanation, would you feel awkward asking someone in a clothing shop if they have an item in a different size, exactly it’s the same thing they’re there to do a job and they don’t mind at all, in fact i’m pretty sure the staff are more than happy to help you! Besides once you know how something works you’ll become a lot more comfortable using it.
- My final tip for enjoying the gym is don’t put pressure on yourself, I know you want to achieve your goals as quick as possible, i’m the same, after every gym workout I check my butt to see if it’s grown but lets be real progress and change take a lot of time and commitment so if you put the work in I guarantee slowly but surely the results will come. Also try not to compare yourself to others at the gym, it’s so easy to see another person and think ‘oh their butt is so much more toned than mine’ or ‘wow look at her abs’ but remember everyones body is different and changes differently and you also don’t know how long it’s taken that person to achieve those things, they could have been working out for years.
I hope some of my tips have made you feel a bit more at ease when it comes to the gym, they may not apply to everyone but these are just a few that I find make my experience a lot more enjoyable. If you have any more tips for me i’d love for you to share them in the comments.